[BlueOnyx:00342] Re: Mailman

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Jan 20 04:34:01 -05 2009

Hi Abdul,

> Question:  Is Mailman installed by default on BlueOnyx?

No, by default it comes with Majordomo - same as on BlueQuartz.

> If not, does anyone have a good "recipe" for installing it?

Depends. I installed Mailman on the BlueOnyx box that runs blueonyx.it.

First of all I uninstalled Majordomo there (not really necessary as it doesn't
conflict with Mailman) as the this guide:

http://www.solarspeed.net/otrs/public.pl?Action=PublicFAQ&ItemID=21

Next Mailman is available in the CentOS5 YUM repository, so you can simply
"yum install" it.

Unless you want it on every site the setup is kinda straightforward:

a.) Edit /etc/httpd/conf.d/mailman.conf as needed.

b.) Use http://www.site.com/mailman/ to setup and configure a list - or use
the command line utility /usr/lib/mailman/bin/newlist

c.) Add the Sendmail virtual users for each list to your virtusertable. For
this I created a separate /etc/mail/aliases.mailman, which I tied into
sendmail.cf - just to keep things a bit more tidy. If you use the CLI to
create a list, it'll dump the required virtusertable additions to the shell
and you just need to copy and paste 'em.