[BlueOnyx:00385] Re: 4gb on Blueonyx

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Mon Jan 26 22:56:50 -05 2009

Gerald Waugh wrote:
> I note that the servers I config with blueonyx and have 4GB RAM
> Are running; 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5 kernel
> And only show;
> [root at cbw ~]# cat /proc/meminfo
> MemTotal:      2836476 kB
>
> This particular server is running a dual core E6600 processor.
> and cat /proc/cpuinfo does show two processors running.
> But I see the same thing on servers running Pentium 4 processors.
>
> With NuOnce install cd, it appears to be correct, but has an smp kernel
> Is there a way to install an smp kernel through yum?
> I prefer not to install kernel-xen.i686 as someone suggested.

All CentOS-5 kernels are smp enabled.

from
http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOS5#head-d70935212ce3b7b072b0075c1807a4bd3ea175b7

CentOS 5 provides the following kernel packages:

kernel: Contains the 'normal' kernel. This kernel includes support for
both UP and SMP machines.

kernel-PAE (x86-only): Contains a kernel with support for 64GB of memory
on x86 systems through Physical Address Extensions (PAE). Only x86 CPUs
that support PAE can run this kernel. This kernel is provided because
x86 systems can't address more than 4GB of memory without PAE extensions.

kernel-xen: Contains a Linux kernel that runs on the Xen hypervisor, for
both privileged (dom0) and unprivileged (domU) domains. The Xen kernel
is compiled with PAE support.

Additional kernels that have some more options enabled are available
through the CentOSPlus repository.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services