[BlueOnyx:01211] Re: e-mail alias problem

Rodrigo Ordonez Licona rodrigo at xnet.com.mx
Tue May 12 18:10:18 -05 2009

-----Original Message-----m e
From: blueonyx-bounces at blueonyx.it [mailto:blueonyx-bounces at blueonyx.it] On
Behalf Of Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet
Sent: Martes, 12 de Mayo de 2009 02:24
To: BlueOnyx General Mailing List
Subject: [BlueOnyx:01210] Re: e-mail alias problem

Rodrigo Ordonez Licona wrote:
> Weird,
>

> I have used cnames in all platforms (RAQ,BQ,BO), To alias Websites
> hosted elsewhere (not on BQ or BO) without problems. And helped me get
> rid of ugly names  Like: cameras.noip.org.
>
> My 2 cents.

To clarify:  It is my position that CNAMEs can serve a legitimate
purpose.   However, that purpose is NEVER for a mailserver.

Ralf Q reminded us earlier of the particular RFC this comes from, so I have
looked up the particular section and am pasting it here for convenience
sake:
5.2.2  Canonicalization: RFC-821 Section 3.1
          The domain names that a Sender-SMTP sends in MAIL and RCPT
          commands MUST have been  "canonicalized," i.e., they must be
          fully-qualified principal names or domain literals, not
          nicknames or domain abbreviations.  A canonicalized name either
          identifies a host directly or is an MX name; it cannot be
          CNAME.

So, to sum up:  NEVER EVER use a CNAME in an MX.

Couldn't agree more, Now that will demonstrate that the evil is inside us.

Every single one of us the devil inside.... INXS...