[BlueOnyx:01216] Re: Blue Quartz - Blue Onyx - my random thoughts

Rickard Osser rickard.osser at bluapp.com
Wed May 13 15:07:03 -05 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 20:41 +0100, Martyn Bailey wrote:
> I sincerely hope this doesn't upset anyone - it's intended to provoke
> discussion, not cause conflict.
>
> http://www.martynbailey.me/node/146

Hi Martyn,

no offense taken.

I've been around Cobalts since Qube 2700 (actually I got no 77 produced)
directly from the US. I might not answer everything on the list. I might
not even involve myself directly but I do care about the source-code as
well as getting it used. I've used it in my own projects as well as
customers projects.

I also developed a SSL-package for the Qube2/RaQ2 which I sold on the
net with customers all around the world, a bit like Michael and Brian
has done lately. There was 2 other packages at the time, Cobalts own RSA
based which couldn't be exported and didn't have a GUI as well as Harris
Vaegan-Lloyds package with GUI who landed a job at Cobalt while living
in Aussie land. When he started at Cobalt only my package was available
for all customers around the world. I also got Cobalt to put up notices
to my customers when upgrades from cobalt broke the SSL package where
they could get free upgrades. Taco is around from a bit later than that
period. I also made a Wireless extension to the Qube3 which bridged the
lan as an AP.

With bluequartz I made some suggestions, I also sent Hisao code that
expanded some of the base functionality, nothing came of it.

Now Michael has given me svn access to the BO code which has seen a
couple of expansions and fixes from my side. So, no, he is not alone,
I'm getting more actively involved again and hopefully my company will
be able to give you users a incrementally expanded platform as well as
professional support. I will not sell small packages again but will
include new functions and packages into the GUI. Those base packages
will also be submitted to BO and will be available as a part in our
supported offering in the near future. We will also add commercial
packages which will be unique and not for everybody but will be the base
of our possibility to support the platform. We will only sell
pre-installed machines. We are integrating the product into an appliance
platfrom again.

Best regards,
--
Rickard Osser <rickard.osser at bluapp.com>