[BlueOnyx:01244] Re: Blue Onyx on a Cobalt Qube 3?

Bob Noordam noordam at derooderoos.com
Mon May 18 12:46:14 -05 2009

> Hello,
>
>   does Blue Onyx run on a Cobalt Qube 3 (AMD K6-2)? What is the best
> way to go about installing it? I currently have the last Sun Cobalt
> release installed on the machine, but would like to get a release
> that is more current due to security concerns.. Does this require an
> boot EPROM upgrade? Is there a FAQ yet?
>
> Best regards,
> Dave Ritchie

This;

http://www.gurulabs.com/archive/rhl-cobalt-howto/index.html

Is a general guideline for a 2.4 kernel and an ancient RH release, you can
basically use that to get more recent 2.4 series running. It is also possible
to use the 550 Restore CD on a qube 3, which will give you the 550 OS based
on the 2.4 kernel.

I have never seen 2.6 running on a Qube, And while updating and rebuilding
modern versions for the 550 OS (and thus the Qube3 running that) is still
possible, it is *a lot* of work, and more of a hobby then a serious
alternative for running applications.

The K6 will become sluggish very quickly when loaded with a few sites and
modern versions of the packages for the 550 OS. Imagine how it would react to
a 2.6 based system like BlueOnyx or BQ.

If you realy are into the hobby stuff, you can still find some rebuilds for
the Q3 here;

http://www.depopo.net/bin/qube3/

It is not complete anymore (used to have a more recent httpd too) - and they
are also quite outdated by now. But, they include the srpm files, which could
give you an entry into building your own stuff.

I maintained a Qube into 2007 because of the coolness of the hardware, but it
really wasn't suitable for much more then say a dns server in the end, simply
because it can't be expanded memory and storage wise to what you need today
for serious work.

B.