[BlueOnyx:01308] New user, free packages, and cost cutting..

Paul paul at planetcentral.net
Wed May 27 03:42:22 -05 2009

Hi Guys,

Currently playing with BO as a possible upgrade to BQ - as mentioned in
Michael's blurb, it's definately "all that BQ should have been".

As per usual i'm running a home server with a couple of personal and a couple
of charity sites on - nothing commercial etc.

Anyhow, all installled and looking good. Just wondered if there are any free
packages out there that i may be able to install (ideally
clamav/mailscanner/spamassassin), or any tools that have been updated from the
older BQ days.

It's nice to see things like phpMyAdmin now installed as part of the dash -
definately a step in the right direction!! I managed to get things like
mysql/clam etc to automatically update from the Centos repository rather than
pay for the continual updates on BQ - which was nice.

One thing i've now noticed was that Nuonce was great for people like me, where
it was a small home server, and the prices were not too high for the packages.
Whilst i understand that some make a living from these boxes and the
accompanying packages, most of the prices i have seen so far are well outside
my price range (£137 will feed my family for a week!!). Brian seemed to fill
the gap where no-one else sat - and over the years got the chunk of my ££..

Finally - is there anything that needs changing on the default install?? With
BQ there were always fixes etc to do - things to change, however if all is to
be belived then it may well free up some of my time - which is always valuble
(and the wife will be happy!!)

Many thanks
Paul