[BlueOnyx:01341] Re: RAID

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu May 28 18:04:08 -05 2009

Tony C. Loosle wrote:
> i will check that one out.
>
> The LSI Megaraid is natively supported by Cent OS5, and I can get to the
> screen to select the driver, but it never finds the array?

This has been discussed in some detail previously on this list.   The
LSI Megaraid is one of a family known as "fakeraid".   ie: it's not a
true hardware RAID, and relies upon software (drivers) to operate.

In the opinion of many, fakeraid is to be avoided, since it offers
questionable benefit as to reliability, and debatable benefit when it
comes to performance.

As Xin has noted, often times the Linux software RAID will perform just
as well in most situations, if not better.

If it were me, I would never trust a production system with a "fakeraid"
controller enabled.   I'd sooner run the controller as a standard drive
controller (ie: turn off the RAID) and let the Linux RAID do its thing.
   There are a lot of reasons for that... many of them from personal
experience!

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services