[BlueOnyx:02848] Re: metamail package

Jimmy Gross grossj at constantino.net
Sun Nov 8 20:44:31 -05 2009

The easiest way to install an RPM is using Webmin, www.webmin.com - It automatically checks for dependencies.

jimmy
  -----Original Message-----
  From: blueonyx-bounces at blueonyx.it [mailto:blueonyx-bounces at blueonyx.it]On Behalf Of JW Simpson
  Sent: Sunday, November 08, 2009 7:19 PM
  To: BlueOnyx General Mailing List
  Subject: [BlueOnyx:02847] Re: metamail package

  Ok ... I got the .src.rpm to install, but it's not compiling.
  As far as I can tell, there are no missing dependencies.
  YUM doesn't bother me ... I just haven't used rpm in so long I had to dig out the books. :-D

  On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 15:27 -0600, Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet wrote:
Welcome to the list!

JW Simpson wrote:
> I was under the impression that BlueOnyx is a RedHat derivative?

BlueOnyx uses CentOS 5 as it's base, which is fundamentally identical to
RHEL 5.

> Can I download the .src.rpm from a RedHat repository and use 'rpm -i' ?

Well, you could.  Just watch out for dependencies.  The trouble with
installing RPM's manually is that if you take in other RPM's which are
relied upon to make the metamail work, then you're going to wind up with
dependency issues which could lead to real problems down the road.

 > Can I not download the package and install it without dinking with the
 > yum settings?

Yes, you could wget the package and then do "rpm -ihv" for it.  (-i for
install, -h for hash and -v for verbose so you can see what's going on.)
   If all the dependencies are met, then you'll have no problem.   If
dependencies are not met, then... well, best to try and install those
missing packages via YUM so you'll at least have the CentOS 5 versions.

 > I would certainly appreciate any assistance. (I've gotten really spoiled
 > with aptitude ...)

Potato, potahto.   YUM and Aptitude are both just package managers
designed to resolve discrepancies and avoid dependencies.  If the
package isn't released for the distro, the package manager won't be of
much help.

--
        JW Simpson <john at swajime.com>
        SwaJime's Cove℠