[BlueOnyx:02903] SEO, htaccess files, and Joomla on BlueOnyx

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Tue Nov 17 18:34:33 -05 2009

Hi to all BlueX gurus,

I've got a web developer driving me crazy.  And I was wondering if someone here might have heard of this problem.

He's trying to implement some of the Search Engine Optimization abilities in Apache.  It calls for a .htaccess file in the root directory of the website.  The .htaccess file is supposed to implement some RewriteEngine configurations (even though there are already some in the vhosts configuration file.

But each time he puts a .htaccess file in the root directory of the Joomla websites - it breaks the site which responds with a 500 error.  He claims that no matter what he puts in the .htaccess file - it breaks the site.

Has anyone run into this problem before?  Or does anyone have experience with SEO and the RewriteEngine configurations??

Chuck