[BlueOnyx:02912] /var filling up

Phil Hamer phil at magma-group.co.uk
Thu Nov 19 17:23:32 -05 2009

Hi Guys, hope you are all well.

BO been running now for a good while without any issues.

Last week my /var partition hit 98% capacity overnight. It generally runs
steady at 7% and has done for months. I cleared down all the log files on
Sat morning but tonight it was full again. I tracked down that
/var/log/httpd/error_log was the culprit and nulled the contents of the
file.

Should I look at trying to add this to logrotate so at least the log file
gets renewed daily, and maybe keep the rotated file for a day or so?

By the time I get round to looking at the error_log file it's so big my
Putty sessions keep crashing and I never get to see the contents. Will try
to copy it tomorrow and ftp it down. When I null the file out after an hour
or so there is only a few entries in the log file so not sure why it
suddenly gets big. I re-booted also tonight just in case any stray services
went off on one in the background.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Phil.