[BlueOnyx:02957] Re: Suspected Ethernet problem with r8169 driver

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu Nov 26 23:24:40 -05 2009

Greg Kuhnert wrote:
> I have a server with the same chipset. amd I've been dealing with
> problems ever since. This relates to a known bug in the drivers for this
> card. A fix has been posted back in October last year....
>
> http://userweb.kernel.org/~romieu/r8169/2.6.27-rc9/20081007/0009-r8169-fix-RxMissed-register-access.patch
>
> Its a shame that no-one has integrated this into the official Centos
> kernel code yet. I also have a server with this problem. Rather than
> running custom unsupported kernels, I have a small script that runs to
> detect and recover from the problem. Basically, it pings the default
> gateway. If the response time is greater than 50 msec on average, it
> does a ifdown / ifup for that interface. I run this every 15 minutes in
> /etc/cron.quarter-hourly

Is there a reason that running such a script is preferable to using a
better-supported NIC?

We've got dozens of spare NIC's in our parts closet we keep around for
just this sort of occasion.  There are a few boxes in the room that we
just don't use onboard NIC's on at all.   Just easier to disable them
and use one you know will "just work."

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services