[BlueOnyx:02990] Re: perl-Compress-Zlib / OpenWebMail yum dependency

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Nov 30 14:54:11 -05 2009

Hi Rod,

> The most recent yum update failed for me (see output below).  This is my
> test BX server.  The only yum related difference from a fresh ISO
> install is the addition of the rpmforge repository used to install the
> nagios-nrpe package.  yum clean all & yum update fail to resolve the
> dependency issue.  Suggestions?

You see, there is this warning text in /etc/yum.repos.d/0_WARNING.txt:

WARNING!
========

Do NOT use RPMForge!

Do NOT tie your server into third party YUM repositories UNLESS they are
certified for BlueOnyx.

Third party YUM repository servers (*especially* RPMforge!) replace onboard
RPMs with versions that conflict with BlueOnyx. That will then break the GUI
and will cause service outages.

The damages that this will cause may not be easy to repair.

If you require specific software that's not present in the CentOS5 or BlueOnyx
YUM repositories, then consider asking for it on the BlueOnyx mailing list to
check what other peoples experiences with it are.

The mailing list can be found here:

Thank you.

Team BlueOnyx
http://www.blueonyx.it

So the problem arose when RPMforge was used during a YUM update. It updated
and/or replaced RPMs with differnet versions, breaking dependencies left and
right.

It can be repaired, but would require quite a bit of work. You'd need to go
through /var/log/yum.log, need to find out which RPMs came from RPMforge, need
to remove them and replace those RPMs with the versions out of the CentOS5
and/or BlueOnyx YUM repository.