[BlueOnyx:02674] Re: BQ/BX DNS Editor

Steve Howes steve at geekinter.net
Sun Oct 18 17:33:32 -05 2009

On 18 Oct 2009, at 23:16, Darrell D. Mobley wrote:
> I was adding some entries into the DNS portion of the GUI today and
> noticed that if you are adding new records to a domain, it will let
> you add the same one even if it already exists.  Say, if you would
> add:
>
>       hostX.domain.tld
>
> You could turn around and add it again.

That sounds like perfectly valid DNS behavior. You can have two DNS
records with the same name.. e.g:

mac-steve:~ steve$ nslookup
 > set q=a
 > google.com
Server:		192.168.2.1
Address:	192.168.2.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	google.com
Address: 74.125.67.100
Name:	google.com
Address: 74.125.45.100
Name:	google.com
Address: 74.125.53.100

Now you *could* make it return the same IP more than once. Its pretty
retarded but not really 'invalid'.

> I didn’t try saving that results because I didn’t want to hose my
> DNS server, but I have to imagine that if you were able to add a new
> record for one that already existed, then when you deleted the
> extra, it could also delete the original record as well.

My test box isn't up at the minute but I doubt it would do that.
Shouldn't do. If it does let us know ;)