[BlueOnyx:05985] Re: 1:1 NAT and DNS - Domains not resolving regularly

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu Dec 2 11:11:24 -05 2010

Titus Bolton wrote:
> Greetings and Salutations:
>
> I have an issue with domain names not resolving, and I am pretty sure it
> has something to do with our NAT'ing and our DNS, though I cannot be
> positive.
>
> We host a large number of domains, and we have noticed that the domains
> are not resolving properly outside of the local network.  Two of the
> domains are comsiteconstruction.com <http://comsiteconstruction.com> and
> radiotowerinstallers.com <http://radiotowerinstallers.com>.

You need to fix your DNS so that you're always advertising the public
IPs for the hostnames. See below:

# nslookup
 > server 216.132.149.46
Default server: 216.132.149.46
Address: 216.132.149.46#53
 > comsiteconstruction.com
Server:         216.132.149.46
Address:        216.132.149.46#53

Name:   comsiteconstruction.com
Address: 216.132.149.141
 > server 216.132.149.47
Default server: 216.132.149.47
Address: 216.132.149.47#53
 > comsiteconstruction.com
Server:         216.132.149.47
Address:        216.132.149.47#53

Name:   comsiteconstruction.com
Address: 216.132.149.141
 > server 206.135.249.30
Default server: 206.135.249.30
Address: 206.135.249.30#53
 > comsiteconstruction.com
Server:         206.135.249.30
Address:        206.135.249.30#53

Name:   comsiteconstruction.com
Address: 10.0.0.140   <--AH!  There's a problem!

In other words, unless you're just setting hostnames for internal-only
IP's (ie: your 10.X.X.X network) then you need to be using your public
IP's (ie: your 216.132.149.0/24) so that the rest of the Internet can
reach you.

As an aside, I would question the necessity of running 1:1 NAT to your
BX server.  But that's a decision your IT manager has probably saddled
you with.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services