[BlueOnyx:05988] Re: 1:1 NAT and DNS - Domains not resolving regularly

Gerald Waugh gwaugh at frontstreetnetworks.com
Thu Dec 2 11:26:00 -05 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 09:41 -0600, Titus Bolton wrote:
> Greetings and Salutations:
>

> I have an issue with domain names not resolving, and I am pretty sure
> it has something to do with our NAT'ing and our DNS, though I cannot
> be positive.
>

> We host a large number of domains, and we have noticed that the
> domains are not resolving properly outside of the local network.  Two
> of the domains are comsiteconstruction.com and
> radiotowerinstallers.com.

http://comsiteconstruction.com does not come up in the browser
but http://www.comsiteconstruction.com does

dig once yelds private ip
;; ANSWER SECTION:
comsiteconstruction.com. 3341   IN      A       10.0.0.140

Check your dns. You are also using a CNAME, don't make an 'a' record
   Name Server: NS1.COMSITECONSTRUCTION.COM
   Name Server: NS2.COMSITECONSTRUCTION.COM
   Name Server: NS3.COMSITECONSTRUCTION.COM
;; ANSWER SECTION:
NS1.COMSITECONSTRUCTION.COM. 3582 IN    A       10.0.0.45
NS2 and NS3 appear to answer with good IPs

radiotowerinstallers.com

   Name Server: NS1.ANTENASYSTEMS.COM
   Name Server: NS2.ANTENASYSTEMS.COM
   Name Server: NS3.ANTENASYSTEMS.COM

NS2 answers with private IP
NS2.ANTENASYSTEMS.COM.  86400   IN      A       10.0.0.28

[root at ns1 ~]# dig www.radiotowerinstallers.com @ns1.antennasystems.com
dig: couldn't get address for 'ns1.antennasystems.com': not found
[root at ns1 ~]# dig www.radiotowerinstallers.com @ns2.antennasystems.com
dig: couldn't get address for 'ns2.antennasystems.com': not found
[root at ns1 ~]# dig www.radiotowerinstallers.com @ns3.antennasystems.com
dig: couldn't get address for 'ns3.antennasystems.com': not found

--
Gerald