[BlueOnyx:06057] Re: Packages for blueonyx CentOS 5

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu Dec 9 10:16:35 -05 2010

support at first-priority.yi.org wrote:
> Secure your corporate defenses
>
> iptables-1.4.10-2.2.i386.rpm
>
> http://rpm.first-priority.yi.org/pkg/centos5/
>
> http://rpm.first-priority.yi.org/pkg/centos5/iptables-1.4.10-2.2.i386.rpm
>
> iptables Releases
> 2010-Okt-29: iptables-1.4.10
> iptables 1.4.10 has been released. This release supports all new features of the 2.6.36 kernel.

This seems suspicious to me, as well.   This appears to be the
first-ever post from the sender's email address.  With this community,
we are very fortunate to not have many "anonymous" users/posters, and
those that contribute to the community (ie: with development, answers,
free and/or commercial PKGs, etc) always post with an identifiable name,
company name and domain.

This post came from (a) a "disposable" email address; (b) an anonymous
poster; (c) a first-time poster, and (d) an unknown poster, from a
dynamic IP address (where the "website" is also hosted) on a DSL line in
Japan.

There are too many red flags.   Stay away.

We always welcome contributions and innovations.  But don't go blindly
installing PKGs or RPMs unless you've thoroughly checked them out.   Who
knows what installing this RPM might actually do to your box.  (Note:
I'm not saying the package is bad, just that I wouldn't trust it.)

Please, make sure that you TRUST your source before installing a PKG.
If in doubt, ask around on this list.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services