[BlueOnyx:06148] Re: User list

David Kreifels ka0jon at our-klan.com
Sun Dec 19 17:21:17 -05 2010

Thank You Darrell,
I give it a whirl

David

-----Original Message-----
From: blueonyx-bounces at blueonyx.it [mailto:blueonyx-bounces at blueonyx.it] On
Behalf Of Darrell D. Mobley
Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2010 3:45 PM
To: 'BlueOnyx General Mailing List'
Subject: [BlueOnyx:06147] Re: User list

I sent you a response by email with a ZIP file that is mentioned below.  If
anyone else is interested in it, I could post it somewhere on one of my
websites or email it to you.  To recap:

This is very simple.

Go into the BlueOnyx admin GUI and click on the Site Management tab.  Go to
the site in the Virtual Site list you want to create the mailing list and
click the "Modify" button on the right.

When the site options are listed, click on "Mailing Lists" on the left hand
side.  Click the "Add" button and enter a name for your mailing list.

Click on the "Subscribers" tab, and you can click the "Edit" button to add
users from the site to be subscribed to the mailing list, and you can also
enter email addresses of those who are not users of the website.

Click on the "Advanced" tab and select the options you want, then save the
settings.  Your list is now ready for use.

I have a ZIP file available that consists of four elements:

1. a subscribe HTML page,
2. a successful subscription submission HTML page,
3. an unsuccessful subscription submission HTML page, and
4. a Perl subscription form to submit subscriber's requests to Majormdomo on
the server.

They are all plain vanilla stuff that you can customize as you see fit.
Simply modify the Perl form majorform.pl with your server's domain name and
the mailing list name.  Place them in the web document root of the website
running the mailing list and set the permissions to allow the form to be
executed.  Make sure the site has the "Enable Common Gateway Interface
(CGI)" option under "Services" -> "Web" enabled.

I use this form on my site every day to allow subscribers to sign up for a
weekly email newsletter via Majordomo.  I have modified the mailing list's
Majordomo configuration file to settings not available in the GUI, so after
I created the list initially, I changed the permissions so the GUI couldn't
overwrite them -- I just make my configuration changes via SSH shell.

While Majordomo isn't as useful as Mailman is, I have learned to live with
it.  If you configure it correctly, it will work quite well for you.