[BlueOnyx:06192] Re: BX upgrade path

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri Dec 24 02:05:56 -05 2010

Jeff Folk wrote:
> Hi Michael;
>
> Along those lines... Have you ironed out the upgrade path (if any) for current users? Will we have to build new boxen the CMU export/import (shudder)?

I wouldn't count on it.  There is just too much that would have to be
smoothly transitioned.  The move from CentOS 4 to CentOS 5 would be
traumatic, to say the least.   For my money, I'd much rather image up a
fresh box then migrate across to it.  I wouldn't dream of attempting
migration to a new OS on a production box!

Even if you were insane enough to try it (and your customers were insane
enough to stick with you if they knew) and everything went smoothly and
your CentOS 4 became CentOS 5, you can pretty well guarantee there won't
be an option going to CentOS 6.  There's just not a way to take a 32-bit
system and magically make it 64-bit.

Don't be afraid of the CMU.  It's not the prettiest thing in the world,
but if you know what you're doing, you can make a quick and painless
migration.  It just takes a little planning.  Or pay somebody to do it
for you.  For a couple hundred bucks, they can do the planning!  :)

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services