[BlueOnyx:03487] misconfigured vsite DNS- 220 banner and mail from: issue

Brian M toomanyhandles at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 03:51:03 -05 2010

Hi all-

Somehow I seem to have the vsites DNS on BX messed up.  I had this working
on SB and earlier on BQ.  I didn't migrate anything, this is a BX tarball
install onto CentoOS 5.

On my former SB install, I had the 220 banner showing as domain.com.  This
is how my registered MX points, as I just use this for trying things out and
I haven't registered a host.domain.com just for the MX.

On BX, though, with the same DNS on BX set the same way as ealier, mail
comes out from:user at host.domain.com <from%3Auser at host.domain.com> for a
given vsite, and the 220 banner is host.domain.com.
Where host is whatever I name the BX box itself.  If I choose the option to
force email domain, emails come out as user at domain.com but the 220 is still
host.domain.com, where host is again the name of the box.

I can  register one mail.domain.com DNS entry and name the box itself that,
but that  doesn't help me figure out why I can't get the behavior I had
before, nor fix the from: addresses.

mail.example.com forward IP
www.example.com forward IP
example.com           forward IP
example.com   MX  mail.example.com
www.example.com   MX mail.example.com

is my setup on both BQ, SB, and BX.

How do I get my from: to reflect user at domain.com and not host.domain.com,
and how do I get my 220 banner to be just domain.com?

I don't see where I have it misconfigured yet.

thanks,

Brian