[BlueOnyx:03492] Re: making sendmail.cf edits stick

Jim Dory jdory at nomealaska.org
Fri Feb 5 13:15:47 -05 2010

On 2/5/2010 8:59 AM, Larry Smith wrote:
> On Fri February 5 2010 11:44, Jim Dory wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to bump up the Maximum number of smtp recipients from 25 to
>> 50 for an ambulance director with a large volunteer list. I perhaps am
>> using old syntax because every day the sendmail.cf file reverts back to
>> 25 for MaxRecipients.
>>
>> I'm using
>> m4 sendmail.mc>  sendmail.cf
>> then restart sendmail.
>>
>> What is proper way?
>> thx, Jim
>>
> Believe the sendmail.mc file specifys "make -C /etc/mail" as the
> "correct" way to rebuild the sendmail.cf file and then restart
> sendmail...

Thanks for the reply Larry,

I had tried that earlier and it complained - but this time seems to
work. (don't remember complaint).
But the way I had done it with m4 did change the .cf file - wondering
why it would lose the edit overnight. I know services are generally
restarted overnight, but as my edit stays in the .mc file it confuses me.

thanks again, Jim