[BlueOnyx:03496] Re: making sendmail.cf edits stick

Larry Smith lesmith at ecsis.net
Fri Feb 5 18:57:46 -05 2010

On Fri February 5 2010 17:00, Jim Dory wrote:
> On 2/5/2010 9:27 AM, Larry Smith wrote:

> >> Thanks for the reply Larry,
> >>
> >> I had tried that earlier and it complained - but this time seems to
> >> work. (don't remember complaint).
> >> But the way I had done it with m4 did change the .cf file - wondering
> >> why it would lose the edit overnight. I know services are generally
> >> restarted overnight, but as my edit stays in the .mc file it confuses
> >> me.
> >>
> >> thanks again, Jim
> >
> > Hmmm, if it "complained" then there was a problem somewhere in
> > the sendmail.mc file.  Appears, if it worked now, that it is compiling
> > correctly and should (?) stay...  Have done this and similar many
> > times and only have "issues" when the make fails or complains
> > for some reason...
>
> I see now that my problem may be somehow related to the SolarSpeed
> Spam-AV package. I'm not saying anything bad about that package - I
> probably just don't yet understand how it works. But the greylisting in
> that somehow dies even though the process continues to run - it just
> quits checking the email (in maillog) so when I restart it via the GUI
> (restarting it via command line doesn't help) then it starts checking
> email again but my sendmail.cf file reverts back to default. If I do a
> make -C /etc/mail then it complains of nothing to be done, even though
> the .mc file has the define (`confMAX_RCPTS_PER_MESSAGE', `50')dnl line
> changed (from 25 to 50), leaving the .cf file at 25. Changing the
> timestamp on that file by some small edit then allows the make -C
> /etc/mail command work and change the 25 to 50 in the .cf file.

Hmmm, look in directory /etc/mail where the sendmail.cf is and see
if there is a sendmail.cf.master or sendmail.mc.master.  Cobalt
used to use that format and "revert" to the master file for any changes
or restarts and such.  If that is the case with the SPAM-AV package,
then you should be able to replace that file with your "correct"
cf file and when it "reloads" it will load your copy.

--
Larry Smith
lesmith at ecsis.net