[BlueOnyx:03595] Re: Mail Bounces sometimes

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Sun Feb 14 18:23:17 -05 2010

Hi Darrell,

Darrell D. Mobley wrote:
>> If your site is named "www.company.com" in the GUI and has the Email
>> Server Alias "company.com", then this is the minimum set of DNS records
>> you ought to have:
>>
>>  company.com	 	---- A Record ----> 	 <IP-Address>
>>  www.company.com	---- A Record ---->	 <IP-Address>
>>  company.com	 	---- MX Record --->	 www.company.com (*)
>>  www.company.com	---- MX Record --->	 www.company.com (*)
>>  <IP-Address>	 	---- Reverse ----->	 company.com (***)
>>
>> (*) = This MUST be the exact name (including the hostname part) of the
>> domain as shown in the GUI interface.
>
> Are you saying that you must never deviate from the MX record for
> company.com pointing to www.company.com, or if you have this minimum setup?
> If you have an A record mail.company.com, is it ok for the MX record for
> company.com to then point to mail.company.com?

Make sure that the MX is:
#1: pointed to a valid A record,
#2: the domain itself is listed as a valid email alias in the GUI, and;
#3: the A record for the MX is listed as an email alias in the GUI.

If that's in place, you should be set.

>> (***) You must have reverse delegation authority for that network
>> address in order for this to work. Or ask your network provider to set
>> up a reverse for you. Or at the worst check that your IP has a reverse
>> record already.
>
> And the rule is only one reverse pointer per IP, otherwise it wouldn't work,
> correct?  Do many network providers allow customers to set their own reverse
> records?  How would one know, without asking the provider?

So long as there is a PTR in effect for the IP address, you'll be in
good shape.   For instance, in our virtual hosting network, we will
place up to 200 sites on a server.  However, there is only ever one PTR
for the server itself.

As far as knowing how your provider handles PTRs, the best way to know
for sure is to ask, I suppose.  That said, many network providers will
probably inform their customers on their reverse DNS policy when you
open an account with them, and they may even put up a knowledgebase item
such as this:
https://support.virtbiz.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=53

HTH,
--