[BlueOnyx:03602] Re: Mail Bounces sometimes

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Feb 16 02:06:53 -05 2010

Hi Darrell,

> Are you saying that you must never deviate from the MX record for
> company.com pointing to www.company.com, or if you have this minimum setup?
> If you have an A record mail.company.com, is it ok for the MX record for
> company.com to then point to mail.company.com?

The righthand side of any A or MX record should point to something that's
exactly named as the site is named in the GUI.

If you want mail.company.com, too, and your site is named www.company.com in
the GUI, then your DNS would look like this:

 company.com            ---- A Record ---->      <IP-Address>
 www.company.com         ---- A Record ---->     <IP-Address>
 mail.company.com         ---- A Record ---->     <IP-Address>
 company.com            ---- MX Record --->      www.company.com (*)
 www.company.com         ---- MX Record --->     www.company.com (*)
 mail.company.com         ---- MX Record --->     www.company.com (*)
 <IP-Address>           ---- Reverse ---->       company.com (***)

(*) = This MUST be the exact name (including the hostname part) of the domain
as shown in the GUI interface.

> And the rule is only one reverse pointer per IP, otherwise it wouldn't
> work, correct?

The IP of a mailserver should have a reverse record, correct. Otherwise emails
sent from that mailserver may not get through SPAM-filtering setups on quite a
few recipient mailservers.

> Do many network providers allow customers to set their own
> reverse records?  How would one know, without asking the provider?

Basically you'd have to ask your provider. Most don't bother with granting you
reverse delegation authority, as that would force them to modify their DNS
server to point to your DNS server for reverse records of your IPs. Instead
most providers I dealt with so far typically have some GUI that allows you to
set up reverse records for your own IPs.