[BlueOnyx:04897] Re: Web Based Way to chown directories to Apache

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Jul 3 13:38:19 -05 2010

Hi Abdul,

> There are several Web Based Applications that either want directories chmod
> 777 or chown apache.  I found overall that it is better to chown apache
> because what the app really wants to do is upload files or create cache
> files, etc.
>
> I would like to create a safe/controlled way that a site administrator
> could modify files

Last night I played with suPHP on BlueOnyx for CentOS6, which allows you to
run PHP scripts with the UID of the user who owns the scripts. The general
implementation of this already works fine on my test box and they way it is
implemented you can enable PHP first (with the old behaviour, where it runs as
user "apache") and on top of that you can then enable suPHP, which will run
the scripts as the owner.

What's missing is simply a GUI page that allows to chown existing web
directories to a chooseable siteAdmin under which suPHP files then run.

That would pretty much solve all these problems and that feature can also be
backported to BlueOnyx on CentOS5, as it won't break anything.

Depending on how quickly I progress with the coding this new feature should be
available in a couple of days.