[BlueOnyx:05053] Broken drive

Colin Jack colin at mainline.co.uk
Sat Jul 17 07:56:18 -05 2010

I have a broken drive on one of my Aventurin{e} cluster machines and would
like to just confirm my thinking on this:

[root at cluster1 ~]# mdadm --detail /dev/md1

    Update Time : Fri Jul 16 14:37:22 2010
          State : clean, degraded
 Active Devices : 1
Working Devices : 1
 Failed Devices : 1
  Spare Devices : 0

           UUID : 9b9ae805:a5b9cd9f:5daa085d:b14b2a40
         Events : 0.6

    Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
       0       8        3        0      active sync   /dev/sda3
       1       0        0        1      removed

1. Am I correct in saying this will be the 2nd SATA drive? I presume that it
will follow the BIOS allocation of SATA1 SATA2 etc.?

2. I am unable to get a matching size disk, but I have a larger one. I
assume I can just swap it out and it will rebuild the original partitions
(so I will just 'lose' the extra space)?

Thanks

Colin