[BlueOnyx:05090] Re: Vacation Replies

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Jul 22 17:44:45 -05 2010

Hi Abdul,

> I have been looking for an answer to this issue and found a suggestion to
> the run the following command:
>
>  strings /usr/sbin/smrsh | grep ^/
>
>  When I did that I found /etc/smrsh.

Yes. Sendmail will only "pipe" mails to executeables if the executable in
question has been authorized for usage. To do that, you simply place a
symbolic link to the executeable in /etc/smrsh/

>  My shell interface shows the vacation.pl and the target in flashing red.
>  There is no vacation.pl in that location

On a "stock" BlueOnyx you should have a symbolic link in /etc/smrsh that
points to /usr/local/sbin/vacation.pl

Additionally you should have another symbolic link in there for Majordomo,
that points to ../../usr/local/majordomo/wrapper

So it ought to look like this:

[root at cbq /]# ls -la /etc/smrsh/
total 20
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  4096 Mar 31 06:49 .
drwxr-xr-x 87 root root 12288 Jul 23 00:40 ..
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    27 May  3 01:56 vacation.pl ->
/usr/local/sbin/vacation.pl
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    33 Mar  3 21:40 wrapper ->
../../usr/local/majordomo/wrapper

>  I am also noting that ../../usr/local/majordomo/wrapper is in red and when
> I go to that directory, the wrapper file is in red.

That's fine. It is in red not because the link is broken, but because the
target file is a SUID binary, which are shown in red by default.

If you still don't get vacation messages, then keep in mind that you only
receive ONE vacation message per sender address per week. A small database
will be kept in the users home directory that stores which email sender
already received a vacation message and how long ago that was.

If in doubt, go to the home directory of that user and delete the *.db file
that lies directly in the home directory itself. It'll be recreated from
scratch next time around.