[BlueOnyx:04846] Re: Firewall for Datacenter

Daniele Guazzoni daniele.guazzoni at gcomm.ch
Tue Jun 29 14:09:50 -05 2010

On Jun 28, 2010, at 9:54 PM, Gerald Waugh wrote:

>> If you were to want to go that route, however, You might consider
>> m0n0wall while you're at it:  http://m0n0.ch/wall/
>
> I think that runs on netbsd and has been replaced by pfsense???

m0n0wall has not been replaced by pfsense.
pfsense is a derivative of m0n0wall as they are targeting different market / environments.
The difference between them is that on pfsense you have plugins for different tasks.

If you are looking for a cheap solutions of implementing a bridge-firewall, m0n0wall is the one for you.
You can run it on from a CF / DOM and have no moving parts.
Everything supported by freeBSD can be used.

If you look for a professional and highly supported firewall you can go for a Cisco ASA but expect to invest a bit more that on m0n0wall...

I have both m0n0wall and ASA in productive ASP environments since years.

Daniele
--
This e-mail has been analyzed for viruses and dangerous contents
with Libra ESVA and is considered clean.