[BlueOnyx:03740] Re: mbox ownership problem

James Dory jdory at nomealaska.org
Mon Mar 1 15:42:25 -05 2010

> Steve Howes wrote:
>> On 1 Mar 2010, at 19:07, Jim Dory wrote:
>>

>>> I got an error while trying to send email to some users that usually
>>> indicates overquota  - but they're new users and have nothing in the
>>> mbox yet.
>>>
>>> Error is:
>>> procmail: Error while writing to "/home/.sites/108/site3/.users/32/
>>> <user>/mbox"
>>> 550 5.0.0 <<user>@nomealaska.org>... Can't create output
>>> I traced it to root owning the mbox and it seems to fix it when I
>>> chown it to the user.
>>> These are some recently added users that I added via the BlueOnyx GUI.
>>>
>>> Can someone tell me what might have gone wrong?
>>>

>> Is it reproducable?
>>

> Yes, create a User, make sure no mail comes in until the other day at
> 06:00 and then the mbox file suddenly appears empty owned by root. I
> haven't found yet what possible cron job might trigger it. After doing a
> #find /home -name mbox -user root -exec ls -la \{} \;
> I found dozens of them on almost all my BOs. They all have a datetime of
> 06:0[01234] on the following day of the account creation.
> Does anybody have a clue which cronjob possibly does this ?
>
> Cheers,
> Christoph

In light of Christoph's message, I haven't tried this but could. Probably
what happened as these users I created didn't have email until a few days
later.

Right now for some reason I cannot get mail through my client Thunderbird
- I'm getting an authentication error. But that is another topic.. dang.
/jd