[BlueOnyx:03744] Re: Changing procmail from mbox to Maildir

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Mar 1 18:24:38 -05 2010

Hi Menno,

> Can anyone tell me if BlueOnyx will have problems if I change procmail,
> dovecot and squirrelmail configs to use Maildir?

That's indeed a bit problematic. Sure, you can edit /etc/procmailrc to switch
it from mbox to maildir and then run a conversion script to convert existing
mailboxed from mbox to maildir.

But then the problems start:

You'd need to update the Dovecot and the Squirrelmail config. Additionally
third party software may expect mbox instead of maildir and will then also
either require changes, or won't work. Like the Solarspeed OpenWebmail,
RoundCube and the AV-SPAM, which all expect mbox instead of maildir.

Additionally: If you change it manually, then the change *will* revert back
whenever certain modules of BlueOnyx are updated. For example: Right now there
is an update to the modules base-blueonyx and base-email in the works. Both of
them will revert the system back to mbox, which we see as default.