[BlueOnyx:04093] Re: Improvement Request - table lengths

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Mar 22 06:04:13 -05 2010

Hi Jason,

> It would be really good if the number of items in any table list could
> exceed 15. Ideally there should be a server-wide admin setting that could
> select table list lengths.
> 15 is annoyingly small

Yeah, I know. Unfortunately it's one of these things that looks trivial, but
turns out to be something major. Even the designers back at Cobalt Networks
realized that the field responsible for the lenght of output should be made
adjustable in the long haul, but chose a rather static method for it instead
by hard coding it to 15.

That value is stored in a static XML file not quite part of CODB, making
things even more tricky. It can be changed and can be made adjustable, sure.

But then we'd also end up with going through like each and any GUI page,
looking for pages that use that parameter and would have to fix like every
instance of it. There are even pages where the hard coded limit of 15 is set
statically to a different value within those selected pages.

So while the actual scope of this change is small (and useful - no doubt!),
it's quite a lot of work to make it "stick" throughout the entire GUI. But
it'll happen eventually.