[BlueOnyx:04096] Re: BlueOnyx on VPS

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Mon Mar 22 14:21:50 -05 2010

Trond Husø wrote:
>> First of all, it would help if we knew what kind of virtualization your ISP is
>> providing to you. If it is OpenVZ or Virtuozzo, your ISP could simply download
>> the BlueOnyx OS template and create a VPS off that for you. That would be the
>> least hassles.
> I am not sure what Webhuset, which is the company that delivers the
> service (the one I choose), uses for VPS. But I have a feeling it is XEN
> as some of the deb-packages had names like xen in them.
> I am writing deb, as I moved from CentOS to Ubuntu to get ISPConfig
> working (much easier to install), but I will gladely move back to CentOS
> (5.4) if I can get BlueOnyx working.

It looks like your ISP is using Xen.  This page:
http://www.webhuset.no/tjenester/virtuell-server/

says: "Når du bestiller en virtuell server hos Webhuset, så kan du velge
om du ønsker en virtuell Windows (Hyper-V) eller Linux server (Xen)."

My Norwegian is very bad, but I believe that says that if you choose
Windows, you get Hyper-V and if you choose Linux you get Xen.

>> If it's some kind of virtualization that allows to install a VPS off a CD
>> image, then it would be best if the ISP uses the BlueOnyx ISO image to do so.
>>
> I have asked them about this, and I am waiting for a reply from the
> technical department of Webhuset.

My feeling is they are likely to tell you "no."  In that case, you'll
have to resort to installing BlueOnyx via the tarball as Michael has
described.

IMHO, the preferred method would be to find a host that will allow the
direct installation of a BlueOnyx image rather than have to beat it up
on your own, which will be very time consuming at the least, and at
worst, will not work as you expect.

However, if you're in it for the adventure, then maybe you'll have fun
with it!  (Myself, I have little time and less patience! Hah!)

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services