[BlueOnyx:04127] Re: ROUNDCUBE spam - how do I determine which account is sending it?

Trond Husø trond at trondhuso.no
Wed Mar 24 06:35:57 -05 2010

Hi Peter, I'm answering one of your question, in between paragraph so
scroll down :)

On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 10:57 +0000, Peter Robbins - Bridgewater Software
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have roundcube installed from solarspeed.net
>
> Is their anyway of working out which account has sent the email from
> roundcube?
>
> we have about 800 users on some of our BX servers which are used
> purely for email and we are getting blocked by various antispam lists
> and DNSBL as we are sending a lot of spam.
>
> I have reduced the problem by adding zen.spamhaus.org as a blacklist
> and ensuring that the outgoing email is also scanned in AVSPAM.  This
> has reduced the amount significantly - the blacklist has also helped
> in reducing the amount of spam that our users are receiving.
>
> But I want to discover which account is actually sending the emails.
> the headers of one of the spam emails points to roundcube as the
> sending mechanism. But the header does not tell me who sent it as the
> email address etc is forged?
>
> I have searched the maillog for time and message but have found
> nothing.  Perhaps roundcube is hacked?
If this is the case, you should install chkrootkit or some other
rootkit-detection program, then run it and see if your server really is
hacked.
I had a BQ-box hacked and it was not a pleasant job to clean up (and
eventually reinstall).