[BlueOnyx:04658] Re: trying to do a remote install

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue May 25 08:22:35 -05 2010

Hi,

> I am trying to do a remote install
>
> but the install scripts changes the network settings for the machine,
> making it impossible to reach
>
> I have tried to make the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 read
> only  but I find out that the script still seems to be able to change t  (
> generated by pperld)
>
> how I do stop this from happening?

Try this:

chattr +i /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
chattr +i /etc/sysconfig/network

That puts the "immutable" bit on those files and even "root" cannot delete or
modify them anymore.

When you're done, remove the flags again this way:

chattr -i /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
chattr -i /etc/sysconfig/network

Generally this shouldn't be necessary if you use the tarball installer,
because as far as I remember it doesn't reset the network settings. It just
restarts the network sometime during the installation of BlueOnyx, but should
leave the settings the same. Could be wrong there, though.