[BlueOnyx:05346] Re: about pkg files

Richard Morgan richard at morgan-web.co.uk
Tue Sep 7 02:30:28 -05 2010

Hi. In some cases you can rename a .pkg to .tar.gz, uncompress it and look
at the install scripts for a way to install it manually.  However, a BQ .pkg
will usually contain out of date .rpm files so is really, really unwise on a
production system.

I've installed Munin and awstats this way, but I really wouldn't trust it to
touch any essential services like httpd or mail.  Buying them is the only
sensible solution if you want them to be reliable.

HTH. Richard