[BlueOnyx:05357] Re: New DFix release

Greg Kuhnert gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au
Tue Sep 7 23:48:26 -05 2010

  The traffic you have shown me is identical to attack traffic. The only
difference, is that this traffic is hitting you because of an
incorrectly configured DNS registry entry. The easy solution: Configure
some DNS entries for the domain... and point them to say google or
better still, send them to a web site advertising your company!

Moving forward, I have been working on a total re-write of dfix. The
newer version will be more granular, with the ability to enable or
disable individual rules, or to fine tune thresholds for individual
rules without impacting other settings.

The new version will run as a daemon constantly monitoring, so there
will be no more cron jobs executing every minute. Blocks will happen as
soon as a threshold is breached, providing faster more immediate protection.

The number of signatures has more than doubled since the current
version, and "badguys" are blocked much faster as a result of more input
data.

Equally important is the improved auto whitelist system. Once a user
authenticates to your server, they will be immune for a pre configured
duration (say 24 hours).

Stay tuned for more news soon.

Regards,
Greg.

On 8/09/2010 2:04 PM, Abdul Rashid Abdullah wrote:
> I don't own them.
>

> On 9/7/10 6:44 PM, "Greg Kuhnert"<gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au>  wrote:
>
>>    My advice to you would be to go back to the domain registrar and
>> update the NS records. There is no way I can differentiate between this
>> behaviour and a dns based ddos attempt.
>>
>> Its bad form to leave them pointing to your server if you dont host the
>> domain. Why not convert it to a "parked" domain or something...
>>
>> Regards,
>> Greg.
>>
>> On 7/09/2010 10:03 PM, Abdul Rashid Abdullah wrote:
>>> Greg,
>>>
>>> For feedback purposes only, I would like to say after updating to this
>>> version, I am getting many messages similar to the following:
>>>
>>> Warning: Blocking 78.31.111.10
>>> Sep  7 07:53:19 baraka named[6886]: client 78.31.111.10#39576: query (cache)
>>> 'auntiealoha.com/MX/IN' denied
>>> Sep  7 07:53:19 baraka named[6886]: client 78.31.111.10#27275: query (cache)
>>> 'auntiealoha.com/MX/IN' denied
>>> Sep  7 07:53:19 baraka named[6886]: client 78.31.111.10#19183: query (cache)
>>> 'auntiealoha.com/MX/IN' denied
>>> Sep  7 07:53:19 baraka named[6886]: client 78.31.111.10#60083: query (cache)
>>> 'auntiealoha.com/MX/IN' denied
>>> Sep  7 07:53:30 baraka named[6886]: client 78.31.111.10#12462: query (cache)
>>> 'auntiealoha.com/MX/IN' denied
>>>
>>> All of the domains this is coming up for are domains I nor anyone else are
>>> no longer hosting.  However, the domains are still registered and pointed to
>>> me.  Basically, these are organization/companies that folded.  So someone is
>>> trying to see if there is still anything out there for them.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Rashid

|   / \   Greg Kuhnert, gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au               |
|<   o>  Compass Networks - Pointing you in the right direction      |
|   \ /   Come see us for BlueQuartz / BlueOnyx modules&  Support.    |