[BlueOnyx:05467] Re: Dealing with /admin URL 'hijacking

Stephanie Sullivan ses at aviaweb.com
Sat Sep 25 22:07:51 -05 2010

Ah, James,

Indeed security through obscurity is not security. However, changing default
paths improves the odds of avoiding an attack and can be an important part
in an overall security plan. In fact suggesting one thing is "the answer" is
not at all my intention and I hope you are not trying to suggest there is "a
solution"...

And if the client is breached, gets shell, and well, whatever, the server is
potentially much more at risk. Far more so than if the client was not
breached.

In any case, I may not have been clear in my wording when I was writing
about who is responsible where. The client may claim the hosting company had
some complicit negligence. Even if not true, legal fees can be staggering
and the overhead of a defense great.

Reputations can be trashed, even when not deserved, and that has
repurcutions.

If my client gets hacked it's bad for them and that is bad for my buisness,
especially if they go out of business.

            Thanks,

                        -Stephanie