[BlueOnyx:05501] Re: Dealing with /admin URL 'hijacking

James Darbyshire jamesdarbyshire at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 18:29:40 -05 2010

Hi guys,

Sorry for my late response, I have been out in the big red outback for the
past few days...

Steph, I feel we are banging on about essentially the same thing, so I won't
go on... As for PHP system calls, obviously if the directory has the correct
permissions and someone calls a system command with the correct permissions
then there isn't much we can do to stop that. However, a good log viewer if
going to minimise this risk, and (I don't use this) but in my old place of
work the server sent an email (which went to SMS) to the system
administrators whenever someone logged in as root/sudo.

Of course, PHP permissions should be set correctly, and should probably only
be able to read/write in the apache websites, and read the php.ini file. We
don't allow individual crontabs or ssh access to our clients.

An application level firewall would be great for certain applications, as
long as it was not too restrictive and easily setup.

You should see my Windows servers...... If you think BX is vulnerable... The
amount of worms that get caught, the amount of times someone tries to break
the security... It's unreal!

ISP/Host responsibility... I have never put it to the test, and I can see
logic in your argument, but that is what an EULA is for. It limits/mitigates
our responsibility for them getting hacked with software they provide. In
fact, even if we are running software which gets hacked on our website (e.g.
WHMCS/BMS) then we are still not liable. Now, as I mentioned in my first
emails, our servers can only be accessed from within a VPN. This is the case
for all of our systems (and in fact there are no systems on client servers -
too risky) so our BMS can only be access through the VPN etc...

Enjoyed this discussion, and would welcome any security tips and trick which
people do to secure their boxes - always interesting to see what others are
doing!

James

Regards,

James Darbyshire