[BlueOnyx:06860] Re: Disable Strong Passwords

Richard Morgan richard at morgan-web.co.uk
Fri Apr 1 11:15:30 -05 2011

My quick dig shows that this question was raised about a year ago - I'd
already done some looking into it, so I'll repost the same answer (apologies
as my original answer was posted on a Saturday with a beer in hand).

I've since found that some updates to BX either reset this tweak or prevent
it completely, but it might be a nudge forwards.

As a by the way, I once had a site compromised caused by user 'stephen' who
had a password of, yes, the same - the 2Gb hosting space was full of all
manner of iffy clutter.  This was BQ though, not BX.  I would never want
simple passwords on a live box - I only tweaked it for my local home/test
box.

HTH

Richard

--- original post from April 2010 ---

OK, I'll start with a disclaimer... strong password checking is a damn good
thing and the guys or girls that put it together did a mighty fine job at
helping to keep our boxes secure.

However, if for some reason outside the realm of normal mortal thinking it
is necessary to disable it... try the following:

su -
pico /usr/sausalito/ui/web/uifc/check_password.php

There is a line that says:

$password = $_POST["password"];

Directly under it and before the $dictionary... line, add the following to
overwrite the variable with a strong password.  Such as:

$password = "fl1pp1nL0ngP855w0rd";

Exit pico, save and password checking is disabled.  It might get overwritten
during an update so don't be surprised if it suddenly works again.

There's a good little ebook floating around called 'nix_intrusion.pdf'
(Google knows it).  You might want to keep it handy :o)

Hope this helps.

Richard