[BlueOnyx:06884] Re: Disable Strong Passwords

Greg Kuhnert gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au
Sat Apr 2 06:17:22 -05 2011

Hi Samuel

On 2/04/2011 1:46 AM, Samuel Lentz wrote:
> On 04/01/2011 10:17 AM, Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet wrote:
>> Samuel Lentz wrote:
>>> Dose anyone know the location of the file that needs to be edited to
>>> disable strong passwords for users?
>> Honestly, the strong password requirement has been one of the best
>> implementations on the BlueOnyx project yet.  I know it frustrates the
>> lazy, but it also helps to prevent them from allowing the box to get
>> compromised.
>>
>> Before you keep digging on the how-to, you really need to evaluate -
>> again - do you REALLY want to (because the only responsible answer is
>> that no, you do not.)
> I am all for the strong passwords. I like the strong passwords. It is
> our client that needs the passwords to be week and puney. I did talks
> about it for about an hour that they insist on it.

Weak passwords = system compromise.
System compromise = lots of wasted time to fix
Lots of wasted time to fix = big cost to sys-admin.
Sys-admin costs need to be recovered from customers.

Therefore: If user wants weak password, tell them there is a special
plan that is available to cover the cost. The monthly cost is 4 times
your normal monthly fee.

(You don't have to fix everything with technology).

Regards,
Greg.