[BlueOnyx:06911] Re: JSON and PHP

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Apr 6 16:08:55 -05 2011

Hi Herb,

> A client needed php-json installed. I tried to use pecl and got this:
>
> # pecl install json
> downloading json-1.2.1.tgz ...
> Starting to download json-1.2.1.tgz (17,780 bytes)
> ......done: 17,780 bytes
> 11 source files, building
> running: phpize
> Configuring for:
> PHP Api Version:         20041225
> Zend Module Api No:      20050922
> Zend Extension Api No:   220051025
> /usr/bin/phpize: /tmp/tmpi2jOM6/json-1.2.1/build/shtool: /bin/sh: bad
> interpreter: Permission denied Cannot find autoconf. Please check your
> autoconf installation and the $PHP_AUTOCONF environment variable is set
> correctly and then rerun this script.
>
> ERROR: `phpize' failed
>
> Any clue as how to get around this?

This is probably a "stand alone" BlueOnyx install, installed from the CD,
right?

If so, then the /tmp directory is mounted "noexec", which prevents to run
executeables from within the /tmp directory as a security measure. That then
prevents PECL and/or PEAR related installs where stuff is downloaded to and
compiled in /tmp.

Work around:

Edit /etc/fstab and find the line where the /tmp directory is mentioned.

It may look similar to this:

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol02 /tmp   ext3    noexec,nosuid,rw        1 2

Simply replace the "noexec,nosuid,rw" section of this line with "defaults" (no
quotes!) and save the changes. Then reboot the box. That will remove the "no
executeables allowed" and "no SUID files allowed" restrictions from /tmp.

In our example the "corrected" line would then like this:

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol02 /tmp   ext3    defaults        1 2

Once you have the PECL module installed, revert the changes back and restart
the box again.