[BlueOnyx:06931] Re: Aventurin{e}

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Apr 8 06:02:06 -05 2011

Hi David,

> I would like to go one of 2 ways,
>
> 1.      Master node on private ip address  ,  1 private ip address for
> local lan vm testing, and the rest public ip addresses.
>
> 2.      or  Master node on and 4 vsites on public ip addresses and 1
> private ip address for internal lan testing.

Check my reply to Jeffrey to see how you can hotwire a specific NIC to a
specific MAC address.

Other than that, what you have in mind is a bit tricky due to routing issues.
Generally you can mix public and private IP addresses on Aventurine and
nothing speaks against that.

However, if and how it then all works also depends on your network topology
and the router configuration. You may even need to manually define extra
routes on the Aventurin{e} box in some (but not all) of these scenarios.

With that in mind, I'd have problems to suggest a solution that falls into the
categiory "one size fits all".

One workable approach is what Jeffrey suggested and which I use myself, too:
Run everything on private IP addresses and use NAT to make publically
available whatever needs to be publically available.