[BlueOnyx:07040] Re: web1.uhostme.com Yum Update output for 04-10-11

Darrell D. Mobley dmobley at uhostme.com
Thu Apr 14 20:19:41 -05 2011

I had not rebooted, but I have now.  Twice. J

Why you might ask?

It’s an experiment.  My HP DL380 G3 likes to hang up at 4AM on the morning after a new kernel comes in via YUM and I edit grub.conf, changing “default=1” to “default=0”. After it hangs up, if I reboot it, it runs fine until the next time a new kernel comes in via YUM and I edit grub.conf again to change the default kernel to the newest one.  I don’t know why.  (By hang up, I mean it stops answering HTTP, FTP, SSH, etc., but responds to PINGs fine.  So it’s not locked up, it just quits responding.)

So my experiment tonight is to change the default kernel to the latest “0”, reboot it, and then reboot it again.  I want to see if the second reboot up front will work the same magic it has in the past, just  without it sitting 5 hours waiting on me to get up and cycle the power strip.