[BlueOnyx:07103] Re: web1.uhostme.com Yum Update output for 04-10-11

Darrell D. Mobley dmobley at uhostme.com
Tue Apr 19 08:35:52 -05 2011

I spoke too soon.  My experiment failed.  It just waited another 24 hours to fail.

After I edited grub.conf to change default=1 to default=0 to utilize the new kernel, rebooted the machines and then power-cycled the power strip to force a cold reboot, the machine made it through the first night alright only to stop listening to HTTP, FTP, SSH, POP, etc. last night. Only PING worked.  Because the machine was still running but the not listening, the HP dead man timer never kicks in.  Why this machine only does this when a new kernel comes in via YUM and grub.conf is edited to change “default=1” to “default=2” and rebooted, I have NO IDEA.  I am tired of trying to figure it out, the system can run the old kernel in the default=1 slot until the end of time for all I care.