[BlueOnyx:08201] Re: Same mess different BlueOnyx version, using scsi drives

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Aug 22 23:40:09 -05 2011

Hi Chuck,

>  POOF!  Ten virtual servers gone - just like that!

Outch. Like pretty big outch. I hope there were some backups available. O.o

>  (PS - don't be overly concerned, Micheal added a requirement to hit enter
>  before it takes off installing now)

Yeah, in the past the old CDs waited at the boot prompt for 300 seconds or so
for you to hit return. If nothing happened until then, then the install would
start by itself.

Since quite a few releases the timeout has been set to zero, which effectively
makes the CD wait at the boot prompt forever.

But even that is not entirely safe. I've heard about cases where attaching an
USB keyboard (or switching a KVM to that console) would spuriously send a
return, which then of course launches the install.

So the best procedure is to either not have the installation media in the CD,
or to be doubly sure to not have the CD-ROM drive listed as first boot device
in the BIOS.