[BlueOnyx:08202] Re: open_basedir bug in the SuPHP

Jason Ozin bluequartz at ozin.com
Tue Aug 23 02:03:44 -05 2011

Michael says:

> No, this is not a bug.
> It's a long known imperfection of our suPHP integration:

Which to be fair really is a description of a bug. Given that it is known doesn't make it less bug like.

Especially when this is a GUI based management system and ticking something in the GUI actually breaks the functionality of the component you have just enabled, without one having to manually add a file to fix the break. What makes/made it worse is that, unlike the warning in the popup note for SuPHP about changing site ownership, there is no warning about this issue. So someone like me who was unaware of it was up untill 4am desperately trying to figure out why my site would not work.

Thanks so much for fixing it. Your fix seems sensible and frankly the SuPHP functionality should not have been offered without such a fix in the first place.

Michael, please take this in the spirit it is intended. This is great project and you do so much hard work on it which is appreciated by all. For this reason it is upsetting to see functionality that is buggy/incomplete that would turn new users away by offering a negative experience. So you really cannot in future enable a feature that does not work straight from the GUI (unless there is a very clear warning or explanation in the GUI).

Regards

Jason