[BlueOnyx:08346] Re: Missing SSL switch

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Aug 31 11:26:37 -05 2011

Hi Dan,

> The "Enable SSL" checkbox shows up on our Blue Quartz boxes but it is not
> displayed on the Adventurine/Blue Onyx boxes.  It would appear the missing
> "Enable SSL" checkbox is limited to Blue Onyx.

It has already been said, but let me make it a bit clearer:

Upon site creation you can tick the "Enable SSL" checkbox. if the checkbox is
ticked, it will NOT create a self signed certificate. So HTTPS for that site
is not working until either a self signed certificate (or a real one) has been
added.

IF you tick the "Enable SSL" checkbox, you grant a siteAdmin the ability to
manage the SSL certificates for that site.

If you don't tick the checkbox, only the server admin can add SSL certificates
for the site in question.

ONCE a SSL certificate is there and has been enabled, then the enabling of the
SSL certificate equals the ticking of the checkbox "Enable SSL" during site
creation. Means: Now the siteAdmin CAN manage the SSL certificate, too.

And yes: We didn't add the "Enable SSL" checkbox again anywhere. The only
places where it really needs to be is:

- During site creation: As it gives the siteAdmin the ability to
add/remove/manage his SSL certificates himself.

- If it had been disabled during site creation the server admin can
overridethat by creating a self signed SSL certificate or uploading a real
one. Then the added SSL certificate falls under the administration of the
siteAdmin again.

If you had "Enable SSL" enabled and have an SSL certificate active: Go to the
"SSL" menu and disable the checkbox on the certificate. That disables SSL
again for this site and removes the ability of the siteAdmin to manage SSL for
that site.