[BlueOnyx:06438] OWM and Spam

Darrell D. Mobley dmobley at uhostme.com
Tue Feb 1 21:11:17 -05 2011

I was digging around in the client's OWM preferences and noticed message
filtering options:

Limit for repeated messages:   0, 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 100  ( 0 means No
check for repeatness )
Filter msgs with email address in bad format:   (Filtered: 1)
Filter messages with faked SMTP:   (Filtered: 8)
Filter messages with faked From field:   (Filtered: 53)
Filter msgs with faked exe content-type:

In each setting, you can see first is a drop-down box and four check boxes.
Interestingly enough, the "Filter messages with faked SMTP:   (Filtered: 8)"
included emails from me, sent from Outlook, through Comcast to port 587 on
the server.  Why it thought I was faking SMTP is beyond me, so I had to
leave it unchecked.  It also meant *some* spam gets in the inbox, but a LOT
if getting caught now.

Plus there are individual filters a user can invoke in OWM, so I need to see
what the latest filter recommendations from the OWM team are.  Some are
pretty strict.