[BlueOnyx:06333] Re: Cpanel to Blue Onyx move

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Jan 19 15:55:57 -05 2011

Darrell D. Mobley wrote:
> I have a new client who is currently on a Cpanel server.  He will give me
> his Cpanel information so I can back up things for export/transfer.

We've done plenty migrations like this.  One thing you'll want to be
aware of is that the paths are different, so in the configs for any of
his scripts, you will want to make the modifications for the correct paths.

> He runs osCommerce on his site, with the secure elements of the shopping
> cart, etc., running on one of his current host's SSL certs.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations for making a Cpanel-to-BlueOnyx
> migration?

Other than "yes, it's a good thing?"  :)

> The way it is currently set up, the secure URLs look like this:
>
> https://secure99.hostdomain.com/~username/...
>
> I though I could duplicate that on my BlueOnyx server using the site
> preview, as it will show up if I were to use:
>
> http://web1.myserver.com/www.newsite.com/
>
> But if I change it to "https:", it gives a glaring scare-screen to the user
> and then it changes to the SSL cert on the first site on the server, my
> hosting company domain, like this:
>
> https://www.myserver.com/www.newsite.com/404.html
>
> Because I have an SSL cert on my webhosting site's domain, I could put a
> symbolic link in that site's web document root, but that would open up a
> whole new can of worms with httpd.conf directives and OpenBaseDir
> restictions.

Yeah, I would steer clear of that route.  You can do it, but it will be
messy.

> Can I accomplish by replacing the self-signed certificate on the server
> itself with a commercial SSL cert without painting myself into a corner, or
> does anyone else have any other recommendations?

It is possible to do what you're describing.  I'm aware of at least one
provider on this list that does quite a bit of this and they may be able
to steer you in the right direction on how to accomplish that.

For my money, I'd just have the customer get an SSL cert for their
domain and do it "right" to begin with rather than jump through a bunch
of hoops for what I wouldn't consider to be the right solution.  (I
never said I wasn't opinionated.)   SSL certs are too cheap ($59 from
reputable sources, less money from others) to have cost be a concern.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services