[BlueOnyx:07525] Re: Latest Update destroyed my Sendmail

Christoph Schneeberger cschnee at box.telemedia.ch
Wed Jun 22 16:08:42 -05 2011

bluequartz at ozin.com wrote:
> sorry to repost but has anyone any feedback advice for me on the issue:
>
> --------------------------------
>
> Sent: 19 June 2011 13:06
> To: blueonyx at mail.blueonyx.it
> Subject: [BlueOnyx:07491] Latest Update destroyed my Sendmail
>
> This morning I noticed that SMTP was bouncing to my server.
> Restarting sendmail failed
> Looking in /etc/mail I found that both sendmail.cf and sendmail.mc were 0 bytes.
>
> Fortunately in /etc/mail were also:
> sendmail.cf.bxold
> sendmail.mc.bxold
> Dates 05:02 the day before (my server is set to YUM update at 05:00 every Saturday)
>
> So renaming them back fixed the issue but it poses two questions:
>
> 1. Why did it happen
> 2. are the bxold copies Ok to run with or was this update meant to edit them in some way?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jason

Sendmail configs get regenerated if sendmail related updates are installed.
Based on the information you post, I can only blind guess that maybe
your / partition was full or you ran out of memory during yum update.
You can try this again if you just reapply one of the updated packages
that invoke the sendmail generation, try this and check for any errors.
It should again regenerate your sendmail configs:

 yum reinstall base-email-glue

Beside this, your old configs are fine to run with. The above is not
strictly necessary, but if you like to find out what happened, this
would be a good approach.

Cheers,
Christoph