[BlueOnyx:06641] Re: Server processes slowly grow, admin GUI down, cced hangs on shutdown

Darrell D. Mobley dmobley at uhostme.com
Tue Mar 8 15:04:20 -05 2011

It's gremlins, I tell ya.  I have a BX server running on an old powerhog, an
HP DL380 G3, which runs fine until a new kernel comes in through YUM and I
edit grub.conf to use it.  When the reserver reboots under the new kernel
(which is now default=0), sometime around 4AM that night my server will
simply stop responding to anything, except pings. No SSH, HTTP, FTP, nothing
(useful) can access it.

I have the HP health scripts with the watchdog timer running, but since the
server isn't locked up, it just keeps sitting there until I wake up, hit the
IP-based power switch and force a hard reboot.  Not good for the SCSI
drives, but there is nothing else I can do (short of buying different
equipment) to determine why it does this, since it is remote to me.